Applications are now being sought for the position of NEWSLETTER EDITOR(S) for the Association for Science Teacher Education (ASTE)
The Communications Committee of the Association for Science Teacher Education (ASTE) is seeking applications for Editor or Co-Editors for the ASTE Newsletter. The duration of the appointment is 3.5 years. The first six months (July 1 – December 31, 2022) will overlap with the current editor as a transition and training period. The term for full Newsletter editing responsibilities will be January 1, 2023, to December 31, 2025.
The ASTE Newsletter is an online publication for sharing information about the Association and its activities to its members and interested others. Each year, the Association publishes online a minimum of four issues of the ASTE Newsletter, designated as the Winter, Spring, Summer, and Autumn issues. The content of the ASTE Newsletter is determined jointly by the chair of the ASTE Communications Committee and the Newsletter Editor(s). The items selected for publication in the Newsletter should be relevant to the ASTE membership and may include by-law revisions, brief reports from ASTE committees and forums, and a President’s Message from the ASTE President.
The ASTE Newsletter Editor(s) must be a member in good standing of ASTE. This individual should have experience in publishing, reviewing documents, word processing, using WordPress, website design, and creating/disseminating/archiving electronic publications. In addition, the Editor(s) will be expected to attend annual meetings of ASTE and serve on the ASTE Communications Committee.
Responsibilities of the ASTE Newsletter Editor(s):
- Issue a call for newsletter information from the standing committees and forums of ASTE and the members of ASTE.
- Design, edit, format, and archive the online electronic ASTE Newsletter and webpage.
- Submit the ASTE Newsletter for review to the Chair or designated member of the Communications Committee prior to dissemination.
- Provide their own computer as the newsletter is disseminated electronically so there are no costs for printing and mailing.
- Serve on the Communications Committee as a voting member (Co-Editor is ex-officio).
- Have close communications with the ASTE Executive Director, Director of Electronic Services for ASTE, and the Communications Committee Chair.
- Submit semi-annual reports to the ASTE Board of Directors through the Communications Committee.
Support for this position includes:
- Complimentary membership in ASTE for each year of full editorial responsibilities.
- An annual stipend of $800.
Interested persons are encouraged to email their application materials to the Chairs of the ASTE Publications Committee. Full applications for the position are due March 15, 2022, and should include:
- a cover letter of application,
- a 2–3-page abbreviated Curriculum Vita for each applicant, and
- a statement detailing any institutional support.
Questions regarding this position may be directed to the ASTE Communications Committee Chair: Judy Morrison (Jamorrison@wsu.edu)